simple truths.... eternal consequences

Friday, November 24, 2006

[Give me a reason]

This post is rather self-defeating. I would explain why later on. Come embark with me in this journey through my thoughts.
Something I read in John Ortberg's "If you want to walk on water, you've got to get out of the boat"


The decision to grow always involves a choice between risk and comfort. This means that to be a follower of Jesus you must renounce comfort as the ultimate value of your life. Theologian Karl Barth said that comfort is one of the great siren calls of our age....

But too much comfort is dangerous. Literally. Researchers at the University of California at Berkeley did an experiment sometime ago that involved introducing an amoeba into a perfectly stress-free environment. Ideal temperature, optimal concentration of moisture, constant food supply -- the amoeba had an environment to which it had to make no adjustment whatsoever. So you would guess that was one happy little amoeba. Whatever it is that gives amoebas ulcers and high blood pressure was gone.
Yet, oddly enough, it died.
Apparently there is something about all living creatures, even amoebas, that demands challenge. We require change, adaptation, and challenge the way we require food and air. Comfort alone will kill us.


This leads to my current dilemma. I realized that as humans, we all seek comfort. We place it as one of the ultimate goals in life. We strive towards comfort. We study so hard so we can get to good job that pays well, and then we save enough to start retiring and enjoying life. We seldom hear people say "I want to study hard so that in future I get a 12 to 12 job so I can slog my hearts out. That is what I long for." For many of us, our perception of enjoying life is to own this gigantic mansion and slack of for the rest of our life there. (Is it just me or is this the current trend?)

In fact, this current approach to life is even reflected in our inventions. Remote control, television, motorized bicycles, etc... all these echo the sound of "comfort!" into our eardrums. They say necessity is the mother of invention. Hence we can infer that comfort is a necessity?
I beg to differ.

Once again, I embark onto my structured thinking of comforted being a want versus a need. I normally list out the two aspects with their supporting reasons and allow them to wage war in my mind to decide which is the superior stand to take.
To my horror, I realized that I cannot find a reasonable argument in favor of needing comfort! I spent the past 3 days and 2 nights thinking about it. Trust me, I'm as keen as anyone of you to justify my need for comfort. Yet I cannot seem to find a logical reason to excuse my preferred choice of behavior! I'm going to be tongue tied in front of God for judgment day.

This is why this post is rather self defeating. I blog about the fact that I have nothing to blog about. Perhaps you people out there may have a reason for comfort. Please let me know. But if none is found, may I ask you to seriously consider the implications of this post.





Exactly what are you intending to tell God?
Forget about validity. I don't even have an excuse to begin with!
Argh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home